You are ready to begin the formal application process when you meet certain requirements, including the following:
- You show evidence of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- You are a healthcare professional who has completed your healthcare training or you are within 18 months of doing so.
- You are under the authority of a collaborating Christian missions sending agency (a MedSend Associate) or you are in the process of applying to serve under the authority of a MedSend Associate.
- You are within 18 months of leaving for career medical missions service.
- You are committed to serving a four-year term on the mission field or at minimum, a two-year term with evidence that you are open to career service.
- You demonstrate fiscal responsibility and stewardship maturity.
- You live a missionary lifestyle.
As soon as earning begins (such as internship, residency or practice), you begin making your student loan payments.
Once these criteria are met, you can complete a Preliminary Application on our website. This application will help us to get to know you better. If you meet MedSend’s requirements for prospective applicants, we will then invite you to complete a full-length application.
Grant applications are considered three times year, with application submission deadlines of January 15, May 1 and September 1. When our board reviews grant applications, they give special attention to the following criteria:
- Applicant has an established relationship with an Associate sending agency.
- Intended work will involve primarily health care and will include community and public health or health education.
- Place of service will be among the underserved and poor.
- Applicant has had experience working among the underserved and poor.
- Applicant has a personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ and has experience communicating this relationship to others. (*)
- Applicant has been active in a local church.
- Applicant has demonstrated good financial stewardship.
Approval and Funding
If your grant is approved, MedSend will begin raising the money to “fund” your grant. We compute the amount necessary to make your monthly payment for the first term. When that amount is raised, your grant is considered “funded.” MedSend will take over payment of your student loans as soon as your grant is funded and you go on salary with your mission board (generally one month prior to departure for the mission field). Please note that MedSend will begin making student loan payments for approved, funded grant recipients only when loan payments are current and there are no delinquencies.
Grants are easily renewable for successive terms, assuming no significant changes in assignment or financial status. MedSend makes the monthly payments for you as you serve (although you retain legal responsibility). Our desire is to completely pay off your student loans while you commit your medical career to serving the underserved in Christ’s name. If you return from the mission field early for health or other reasons, your grant would be terminated and you would resume responsibility for your student loan payments. Your are responsible for promptly notifying Medsend of any significant change in your status.