MedSend Alumnus to Speak at Medical Missions Conference
Dr. Ben Roberts, a MedSend grant alumnus, will be speaking at the upcoming 2021 Mobilizing Medical Missions (M3) Conference. Held virtually this year, the event’s purpose is to “help people connect with others, be inspired, and find their mission.” The conference will focus primarily on global health and medical missions but will also include content covering human trafficking, WaSH (water access, sanitation, and hygiene), orphan care, disaster relief, refugee care, education, and other missionary work.
Dr. Roberts began serving as a MedSend grant recipient in 2006 at Tenwek Hospital in Kenya, one of the largest mission hospitals in Africa. As an ophthalmologist, his ministry motto is “Sharing the Light, Restoring Vision.” Dr. Roberts has worked to provide treatments and sight-restoring surgeries to patients suffering from eye diseases; he shares the Gospel at Tenwek and in remote parts of Africa when he travels to provide care. In addition, he has trained a number of local ophthalmology residents, clinical officers, and nurses at the mission hospital. At the conference, Dr. Roberts will share stories from his fifteen years of experience at the mission hospital.
Paul and Jennifer Osteen, M3 Co-founders, will emcee the event.
Other speakers include the following:
- Anne Alaniz, DO Co-Founder, Pothawira International, Gynecologic Oncology, Houston Methodist
- Nicholas Comninellis, MD, MPH, DIMPH, President, Institute for International Medicine (INMED)
- Beryl D’Souza-Vali, MRCPCH, National Director, Good Shepherd Healthcare Initiative, Pediatrician, Good Shepherd Clinic, Operation Mobilization India Ministries
- Mitch Duininck, MD, FAAFP, President/CEO of In His Image Inc. (IHI), Program Director of IHI Family Medicine Residency, CEO of IHI International Good Samaritan Health Services
- Jon Fielder, MD, Chief Executive, African Mission Healthcare (AMH)
- Leigh Kohler, Co-Founder and President, Freedom Church Alliance
- Andrew Scott, President/CEO Operation Mobilization USA and OM’s Global Leadership Team, Operation Mobilization (OM)
- Kelly Sites, RN, Disaster Assistance Response Team, Samaritan’s Purse
- Stephen J. Spann, MD, MBA, Founding Dean, University of Houston College of Medicine
- Rebecca (Becki) Thompson, RN, International Worker, Retired in Ministry, Christian and Missionary Alliance
- Russ E. White, MD, MPH, FACS, FCS (ECSA), Chief of Surgery and Director of Cardiothoracic Surgical Education, Tenwek Hospital, Kenya
The conference will take place February 19-20th, and is free to attend. Registration is open to anyone who has an interest in medical missions.
Healthcare remains the only form of access as a Christian witness in many countries.
Your gift helps activate the movement of God's people to the field. Will you join us in ensuring that eager Christ-following health professionals are able to serve the Lord through global healthcare missions.